Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Baked Apples!

Growing up one of my favorite treats my mom would make was Baked Apples, she is amazing at them, and I LOVE THEM! So the other day I saw someone making them on TV and I decided I needed to try it.
Oh My! They looked, smelled, and tasted DELICIOUS! Beau had never even heard of baked apples before, but they are now one of his favorite treats as well.
I wanted to share the recipe for everyone to try. I thought it was way easy!


INGREDIENTS

Stuffed apples

1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 cups Macaroon cookies roughly chopped
3 tablespoons roughly chopped sliced toasted almonds
3 tablespoons roughly chopped toasted walnuts
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 tablespoons 7up
1 whole egg
1/2 cup melted sweet unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk
6 large, firm baking apples, such as Cortland apples, cored but not peeled
3 tablespoons salted butter, cut into 6 pieces
1 1/2 cups apple cider
1/2 cup maple syrup

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, Macaroon cookies, almonds, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, Amaretto liqueur, egg, melted butter and milk. Soak all ingredients in the milk and mix well until all ingredients are soft to the touch.

2. Stuff apples with Macaroon cookie and nut mixture.

3. Place apples in a 13 x 9-inch glass baking pan. Pour in apple cider and maple syrup over apples. Top each apple with a pat of butter and bake.

4. Baste apples every 5 to 7 minutes until apples are tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. When apples are done, set aside and cover with foil to keep warm.

5. Pour the pan juice into a small saucepan, bring to boil, lower heat and simmer mixture until it becomes a thick syrup. Pour syrup over each apple, top with ice cream and serve.

(can't get this pic to rotate, grrr) Oh well.
I hope you enjoy!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

next time you need to share some of that love!! let's get together and hang out when beau has a rare spare minute of time!!

The Stratton's said...

We're making these soon! When are you coming down next?

Mary said...

Looks delish!

PS- Did you know my sister is in Idaho Falls all the time? You should hang out.

Shan said...

Mike checked your blog earlier today, and told me to make your apples!! So I am checking them out and so excited to try them!! Thanks for sharing!!