Saturday, January 8, 2011

Time for a little update

It's time for an update on our little family....
Beau:
What isn't Beau doing? Last week he started school. He's taking a full load in hopes of finishing in a year. He's thinking this semester shouldn't be too bad because it worked out that his classes aren't going to be very difficult. That will be nice with the new baby coming in the middle of the semester. I don't know all of his classes but I think he's taking econ., Russian, D&C, Business-something-or-other, and some sort of Middle Eastern class. I'm sure I'll figure it out soon, but he's only been to a couple days of school so far so I haven't heard too much about it. He has to get up at 6 every morning to be out of the house a little before 7 and to his 7:45 class in Rexburg, then he is in class until 12:30 every day and will get home around 1:20. As soon as he gets home he heads down to his office and works until 6:30 or so. He comes up around then to play with Josh while I make dinner, then we eat and visit, and then he goes back to working or doing homework until 11 or midnight. That is his schedule everyday except Wednesday. He doesn't have school at all on Wednesdays, so he will use those days to work work work. To keep up on everything he's going to have to spend most of Saturday working or doing homework as well, so Sundays will be our saving grace! It should be an interesting 5 months! These next two months with just one kid, I can handle, but I'm pretty worried about how I'm going to survive being a single parent for those first 8 weeks after I have the baby when I'm only getting 3 or 4 hrs of sleep each night. Wow! I can't even think about that, I might have a panic attach. I know I'll make it, but it's going to be rough with almost no help.
Beau's still working at Netmark and really enjoys what he does there. It has showed him an entirely different business world that has him completely mesmerized. He also does a few of his own things on the side, but the busier his life gets, they may have to be put on hold for a little while, we will see.
He and Luke bought a boat a couple weeks ago. I don't know anything about it other than it was a really good deal and it's a Monster! I think it may technically be a considered a yacht. They worked on it for a couple days while we were down for Christmas and Luke is going to fix it up a little more, then we'll see what happens. They may keep it, or not....who ever knows with them.
Beau also has two church callings right now. He's the ward mission leader, again (He was the mission leader in our last ward for 2 years before we moved), and he's the assistant cub master. He hasn't had much to do with the scouts yet, but he jumped right in with the missionaries and has been really busy working with them. He's a really good ward mission leader. It's a pretty time consuming calling, and can be frustrating at times, but he does a good job.
Me:
Well, I'm 32 weeks pregnant. That pretty much sums it up! I went to the Dr. today and everything looked okay. I was measuring and weighing in a little small, but the Dr. said that if I was still small at my next apt. then he'd look into it further. For now, he just wants to see how it goes. I'm 32 weeks, but I'm measuring under 31 and I've gained 14 lbs. they can't know how much the baby weighs without an ultrasound. Lets all say a little prayer that this little guy decides to put on some weight, because there is no way they will start me early if I'm not even measuring on track! And I am planning on getting started early dang-it! I had to go a week and a half over with Josh and it seems like everyone I know gets started early. I think I deserve it this time. I'm doing everything I can to put on weight, trust me, I totally am....but I must be carrying another light-weight. They get it from their dad.
I've been surprised how much easier this pregnancy has been on me than Josh's. I thought it would be harder being pregnant and trying to keep up with an active 2-year-old, but I think staying active has really helped with everything from my strength and energy levels, to controlling aches and pains. I had a desk job while I was pregnant with Josh, so I literally sat on my rear for 5 months straight and I was always hurting and SO tired. I'd come home from work at 5 and take a nap, then get up, eat dinner and hang out then I'd go back to bed no later than 10. But no matter what, I was always tired. With this one, I sleep probably 7 hrs a night and I'm running around all day long. Don't get me wrong, I'm ready for bed at night, and Josh does wear me out sometimes, but it's nothing like the first time around. I feel really good over all.
I've been trying to keep myself really busy lately. I try to come up with some sort of project to work on everyday in between playing with Josh. It's the best way to speed up the pregnancy waiting game and keep from slipping into a winter time depression. In the last week I've cleaned a lot, made the new baby a quilt, done probably 15 loads of laundry washing all the baby clothes and gear, worked on my 30 day menu and grocery list, made myself a nursing cover, and organized and set up the 2 boys bedrooms. It's been really fun and it's nice to accomplish something everyday. Next up is decorating Joshua's room and working on the rest of the house. It's still super empty. Other than that I'm just loving being a mom to the most adorable little boy in the world. I LOVE this kid SO much! He's at the most fun stage yet and I enjoy every second of the day with him.
Joshua:
Like I just said, Joshua is SO much fun these days! He says the most hilarious things every day and seems to grow up more and more every day as well. He's started to play really well by himself lately. Sometimes when we're down stairs he'll disapear and I'll find him playing upstairs in the playroom. I know that sounds like a normal kid thing to do, but it hasn't been normal for Josh to do that. Up until now, he's been right by my side 24/7 and I would even have to get down and play with his toys for him half the time. So I'm loving this! I still will hang out in the room with him and we'll talk and play together, but he's leading now, telling me what we're doing all day long. 2 days ago I was putting my makeup on in the upstairs bathroom while he played in the playroom and I heard him talking for the two little people he had in his hands. One was saying, "Hi mom," and the other said, "Hi! come one. Lets go!" It was so cute to me! Probably because it was the first time I've heard him using his imagination.
At least 100 times a day he'll come up to me and say, "What are you do'n, hon?" Lol! It makes me laugh every time! I guess I've said that to him a bit. It's my favorite.
He eats like a horse and loves everything I give him. He's gone through picky stages, but right now, he'll eat anything and a lot of it! His favorite treats are the little cutie oranges and m&m's.
Depending on the day, he'll tell me his favorite color is blue or pink. They are the only colors he knows. It's funny how little kids are drawn to pink, boy or girl. Beau doesn't love that, but we both know this kid is ALL boy!
He's reached the age where he thinks bodily noises are funny. He laughs every time he toots or burps and sometimes he'll make tooting noises with his mouth and say, "Moooooooommmmm!"
We're going to attempt potty training in the next few days. We're going to use the 3 Day Potty Training Method, but finding 3 days when we can stay home the entire time is proving to be harder than I thought it would be. I didn't think we were that busy. I'll be posting about it as we go I'm sure.
We converted Josh's crib into a toddler bed a week and a half ago and then last weekend put him in a twin so we could set up the nursery. He has done really well for the most part. The first night in the toddler bed we learned we have to shut his bedroom door so he doesn't wander the house in the middle of the night, and the first night in the twin bed he would not go to bed! Other than those two nights it has been a really smooth transition. Surprisingly easy actually.
He doesn't drink sippy's of milk at all anymore. We had to cut that out so we could potty train, but he didn't mind. He has never been in love with milk. Next up (well, after potty training) we are going to break him of the binki. Part of me doesn't care that he still has it, but it's driving the other part of me nuts! I'm sick of keeping track of them and listening to him whine about it when I wont let him have it. He is actually, really cutting his k9's right now, so I'll let him have it through that and then it might get lost for good.
The reason I always wanted to space my kids out around 3 year apart is because I wanted to give them each enough time to be the baby and spend that one-on-one time with them while they are so young like I feel they need. I've struggled since the day I found out I was pregnant with this one that I'm taking that away from Josh. I feel like I'm having to force him to grow up and and do big kid things before he's ready. But I don't know what else to do. I don't want two kids in diapers, I have to have the crib for the new baby, he has to sit and feed himself because I will have another one to feed soon, I'm not going to keep track of two kids binki's all day long...etc. I know it's not a bad thing to ask your 2+-year-old to be more independent and that Josh will be just fine, but making all these big moves lately has made me think about it a lot. I worry it's all too much too fast for him. He seems to be fine so far and has handled all the transitions really well, I just hope he can still feel how much we love him even though we have to make him do things be doesn't want to do or things that may seem scary. It's tough being a parent. It's such a guessing game so much of the time. I'm grateful that we have the Lord to help us get through it.
I don't want to end on a somewhat depressing note, so I'll write about a cool thing we did today. Beau and I got a babysitter for a few hours this morning so we could go to the church cannery and do some service work. We had a plan to work on our food storage each month through out the year so that it would be complete by next December, but a couple weeks ago Beau told me that he thinks/knows the price of goods is going to increase soon and that he wanted to get it all done in the next couple months rather than spread it out. So we went and volunteered at the cannery this morning and then spent almost $400 on canned goods. Yikes! The cool thing is though, that after today combined with what we already had we have a complete food storage for a family of 4! How exciting is that! There are a few things we'd like to add, like more dried and bottled fruit, and more bottled meat, but as far as what the church recommends, we're done! It feels way good to know it's all there too. Not that I'd really know what to do with it if we really did have to live off of it, but it's there and I'm sure I'd figure it out.
Anyway...Things are good here at house. We're happy as can be and feeling very blessed for the good situation we are in in life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Growing up, I always thought your life was this perfect little world. For some reason, I've always thought that. It's not a bad thing at all. It's actually quite the compliment. I think this post really stood out to me that it's really the way YOU make things. I thought that was so cute that Josh says "what ya doin, hon?" It just shows how sweet-natured you are. I love reading about your family and it makes me want to be more like you!! I love the person I grew up with and I love you even more now for the person you've become! Thanks for being such a good example! Love you to tha moon!

*kirstin* said...

awww T! I'll come up when you have the other baby! and I'm serious! SERIOUS! I'm sure there's plenty for us to catch up on anyways... like BOYS! More me than you, i hope! :) for some reason you always knew about my quirky love stories... hmmm crazy! Anyways... sounds like you guys are so great and very busy! Let me know if i ever need to make the road trip up!!! Love ya girlie! Take Care!