Sunday, March 13, 2011

Days 5 and 6

There hasn't been much change in the last 48 hrs. Benson is still doing really well and holding stable, but is getting a little bit weaker. He sleeps probably 22 hrs a day and doesn't have the strength to stay awake very long when he does wake up. It's partly due to the fact that he hasn't eaten since last Monday and because the medication he is on to keep is artery open makes him feel so yucky, he just feels better when he's asleep. They tell us surgery could be Tuesday, but not to hold our breath. We really hope it is though. This waiting game gets harder and harder everyday. We keep telling ourselves not to get our hopes up, but I don't know if that's possible. We've already been waiting a week and are ready to be on the other side of this. However, we are grateful he is so strong and know that he will bounce back after surgery quickly because of it. He's amazing!
Our daily routine (sort of):
We can't sleep in, so we are usually up and going around 7:30. We get ready as fast as we can and head to hospital. We'll either grab a bowl of cereal at the house or eat in the cafeteria at the hospital. Breakfast is the only meal we have decided is worth eating there. It's pretty good, but let me tell ya, eating out 3 meals a day is getting OLD!
Other than leaving for meals, we spend the entire day holding Benson or walking the halls making phone calls since we can't talk on the phone in the NICU.
Because Benson isn't able to eat, I am pumping. They have a pump room just across the hall from the NICU, so every 3 hrs I head over there for a bit. It's been kind of interesting to watch as my milk production has increased and to see what sort of things affect it. I'm up to about 6 oz every 3 hrs but the first 2 pumpings in the morning can be a little less than that. I feel like I spend half my day in the pump room most days. I don't mind though, it's one of the only things I can do to help Benson out so I'd do it all day if I had to.
From. 6:30-7:30 we have to leave the bedside because of shift changes, so we usually use that time to get out of the hospital. We'll go to the grocery store or run whatever errand we have that day and then grab dinner before we head back. Most nights we leave Benson around 10 or 11 and go back to the room to get some rest. It's always hard for me to leave him.

We talked to Joshua tonight on skype and it was So nice to see him! He's doing so well being away from us (way better than I am). I'm glad he's getting this experience and know that it is so good for him. I miss him more than I can say and I cannot wait to see him sometime this week!

Pictures:

He loves to sleep with his hands next to his face. Even though he hasn't been eating (except through the IV) He still hasn't lost those cheeks or double chin.

Benson Stretching (One of our favorite faces)

The NICU Family Picture

2 comments:

the stahle's said...

Hey guys! We love reading your updates. Madison loves baby Benson and asks to see his pictures. She thinks it's cool he gets sponge suckers. :) We can't wait for him to have the surgery and for you all to be home. We think and pray for you everyday. Love you!!

The Stratton's said...

He's seriously so adorable guys. Love you.