Monday, February 28, 2011

One Week and Counting!

We are down to 6 days until we will be having this new little one! I have mixed feelings about it, but mostly just excitement and relief. I'm pretty over being pregnant at this point, and cannot wait to meet my sweet new baby, but I'm also extremely nervous to have two kids. I remember how difficult having a newborn can be, and I honestly don't know how I'm going to do it with a two-year-old. I know I can, I mean, billions of women have done it and survived, but it's going to be SO hard the first month or two when I'm getting no sleep. I think about it all the time and try to plan out how I think our daily routine is going to go for the next couple months. I'm not really sure how I'm even going to shower and get ready for the day, let alone go grocery shopping. Like I said, I know it's going to be something that I just handle as it comes, but it's hard not to be a little nervous about the unknown.
So I wanted to ask, is there anyone who reads this blog that has any advice on what I can do to make this transition easier? Any tips or advice on how to survive the first couple months of sleep deprivation, and also on what I can do to help Josh with the transition. I really have no idea how he's going to react. I think he'll be fine, he's such an even tempered little guy, but I don't want him to feel neglected at all. What have you all done to make taking trips out of the house with two kids easier? Any baby gear that you couldn't live without? How did you get through it!?

4 comments:

Ebert Family said...

Tianna I totally hear you...I was freaking out when I was about to have two and then when I was about to have 3 wondering how I would ever do it. And you know what? I found out that I worried a lot for nothing. Your natural instincts will kick in and you'll be able to balance both. Especially since newborns mostly just sleep it still just you time with the other one and it gets easier by the day! I bought a few little surprises for Jordan so that when brynlee was born I had a few treats for him and he knew we were still paying attention to him...but we really haven't had any problems with the whole jealously thing. You'll do great just don't over think about it! :) Take it a day at a time!

The Stratton's said...

My doctor recommended B12 vitamin drops to help with the lack of energy. You can get them at a nutrition store... I must have been more tired than I realized because after Tyler was a few months old, my Dr asked me how I was doing and asked again when I said I was OK. Apparently the fatigue showed in my face more than I realized ;) It seemed like they helped. I know there was one other thing he said to do along with it, but I don't remember now. You'll do great. Showers are over-rated anyway.

Summer Wilson said...

2 words - MOBY WRAP! They are the best things ever. It puts the baby bjorn to shame. Your little guy will fall asleep in it, and you have BOTH hands to do whatever you want. I skipped from 1 kid to 3, so it was a little chaotic the entire first year! In fact, that year was basically a blur, but hey, we survived. Just don't stress over the little things, you'll figure it out as you go. Remember newborns sleep a lot, so you'll have plenty of 1 on 1 time with Joshua. Good luck.

Linz said...

Hey I asked my mom since I'm not in your position yet and she had her first kids 10 months apart. She said to take a shower at night because mornings won't work out. She also said to make the new baby "Josh's baby" by saying to him "here's your baby Josh" or something like that.I think you'll do great though! I'll be asking you for advice in the next 6 months too :)